Home Student visa in Australia

Student visa in Australia

As a non-citizen if you want to study in Australia you must apply for a student visa.

Visas are granted by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). Your  Education Agency in your country Australia student Counsellor from Australian Office can make your student visa application for you please contact for further information .

Only courses under three months’ duration can be undertaken on a visitor visa or working holiday visa. If you intend to study for more than three months, you must apply for a student visa.

Advantages to studying on a student visa include:

you will have access to Australia’s subsidised student health cover;
you will be allowed to study for longer than three months; and
you can apply for permission to work part time.

You can apply for your student visa as soon as you receive a letter of offer or electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for your full time course of study. Your Education Agency  can help you.

Student visa information on this website is an outline only and subject to change. For more detailed, accurate and up-to-date information on student visas and visa requirements please visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website or speak to your  Student Counsellor.

Assessment levels for student visas

Each student visa application is assessed according to an assessment level. The assessment level is determined by the passport held and visa subclass applied for.

The assessment levels relate generally to how likely students are to comply with their visa conditions, based on previous students’ behavior. Assessment level 1 represents the lowest assessment level and assessment level 5 the highest.

The higher the assessment level, the more evidence you will need to provide to demonstrate your financial capacity, understanding of the English language and other relevant matters.

Important: if you have an assessment level 2, 3, 4 or 5, then you must make your first student visa application while you are outside Australia.

Your Student Counsellor will consider all relevant information from you before making required Student by considering different alternatives for your specific conditions such as

  • visa sub-classes for each education sector
    You should apply under the visa sub-class for your principal course of study.
  • assessment levels
    Each education sector in each country is ranked according to five assessment levels.
  • evidentiary standards
    These visa requirements include English language proficiency and are increasingly stringent from assessment level 1 through to assessment level 5.
  • electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE)
    The only accepted evidence of enrolment for processing student visa applications.

A preliminary assessment will determine your eligibility for a student visa and is necessary if your country is at Assessment Level 3, 4 or 5.

Depending on your country of nationality and your principal course of study you may have to undergo a preliminary assessment before an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) is issued by your Australian education provider.

My Study in Australia Student Counsellor will provide an ‘Offer of a place in a course’ letter from your education provider to the visa processing office.

When your application is received, the visa processing office will undertake a preliminary assessment of your ability to meet the student visa requirements applicable to you.

If the assessment is favorable, the office will issue you a letter to give to your education provider authorizing them to issue you with an eCoE certificate.

When you study in Australia, an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) is issued by your Australian education provider and is the only accepted evidence of enrolment for processing student visa applications.

Student Counsellor will advise you of its requirements but generally it will require payment of at least one semester or one year of course fees before issuing an eCoE. A copy of your eCoE must be submitted to your local DIAC office before a student visa can be issued.

You will be also advised to pay the tuition fees and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) premium, and undergo medical tests. The student visa will be granted when the Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) and all other requirements are satisfied.

When you study in Australia, generally you will be issued with a multiple entry visa for the duration of your study course so you can travel in and out of Australia.

Members of your immediate family (spouse and unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age) can accompany you to Australia and will be considered in the same visa class as yourself.

If you wish to extend your stay in Australia for further study you will need to lodge an application for a further visa.

The student visa has seven separate sub-classes for each education sector. You should apply under the visa sub-class for your principal course of study. Your IStudent Counsellor can provide further education.

Australian quarantine regulations

Australian quarantine keeps out exotic pests and diseases that could affect our native plants and animals, human health, agricultural industries and our environment. Visit the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service website for a list of what you cannot bring into Australia, and what your family and friends at home cannot send to you through the mail.



Whether applying in or outside Australia, in order to be granted a Student Visa, you must meet specified evidentiary requirements, which demonstrate your ability to meet the financial capacity, English proficiency and other relevant matters criteria.

You must also satisfy general requirements relating to character, health, acceptable health insurance and intention to comply with visa conditions and have no outstanding debts to the Commonwealth of Australia.

Your application will be assessed according to your Assessment Level. Your Assessment Level (1 to 5) is determined by the passport you hold and the education sector for which you are seeking a student visa.

To find what main requirements you need to correspond to please click the appropriate level of assessment under your education sector on the table provided below. (General requirements were omitted on these pages.)

student visas, qualifications and assessment levels

From 1 July 2016, there will be only one student visa available to study in Australia – the Student visa (subclass 500). After 1 July 2016, if you want to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500) regardless of your field of study

Related Articles